Saturday, April 13, 2013

Girl, 9, attacked by dog in Rankin; Pet remains with owner

PENNSYLVANIA -- A 9-year-old girl was attacked by a dog in Rankin over the weekend and the girl's mother wants to know why the pit bull remains with its owner.

Sage Pratt's mother said the attack happened on Saturday and her daughter was released from the hospital Monday.


 
Sharee Creer said her daughter was on a neighbor's porch on Fleet Street when the dog bit her.

"I didn't want to run because I knew he was going to bite me, so I just stood there," Sage said. "Then when I actually got a grip on my leg I tried to kick him off."

"She was very frantic, crying, screaming… blood was pretty much everywhere," Creer said.


Creer said police told her that animal control officers would remove the dog from its home and quarantine it, but days later the dog remained at her neighbor's home.

According to Creer, a borough official said the dog wasn't removed because Rankin doesn't have an animal control service.

The mayor of Rankin told Channel 11's Gordon Loesch that he was not familiar with the situation and didn't know who the borough contracted its animal control services through since Triangle Pet was closed last year.


"I don't like that dog. If it's still there it's going to end up hurting somebody else," Sage said.

Loesch tried contacting police and the owner of the dog, but his calls were not returned.

(WPXI Pittsburgh - Apr 9, 2013)