Monday, April 8, 2013

Woman scared to leave home after savage attack on pet dog

UNITED KINGDOM -- A pensioner has been left too traumatised to go out after her dog was mauled by a runaway Staffordshire bull terrier.

Boss the 8-year-old springer spaniel needed stitches to his shoulder after being savaged, leaving owners Marilyn and Eric Jones with a vets bill of £430.

Now a councillor has taken up the case and wants legal measures introduced to make it an offence to have dogs off the lead anywhere within the boundaries of Gnoll Country Park.

Mrs Jones, who lives in Cimla, took Boss for a walk and was heading towards the Gnoll Woods, near Cimla Common, when the incident happened.


She said the bull terrier's owner was there with another man and both were drinking from cans of beer.

"I turned to go and the next thing I knew my dog was being pinned to the ground," said Mrs Jones.

"I have never seen anything so horrific in my life. If it had been a smaller dog, it would have been killed.

"Boss is very placid. He didn't do anything, he was attacked for no reason. He was pinned there, looking at me so pitifully, but there was nothing I could do about it.

"I had my stick with me but I was so frightened I was paralysed. I couldn't believe it was happening."

Mrs Jones said the owner eventually managed to drag his dog away.

"But it should never have been allowed to run free in the first place," she said.

"It has left me so traumatised I'm afraid to go out. I did report it to the police but they said there was nothing they could do because it had not attacked a person."

Neath South councillor and deputy council leader Peter Rees said he was deeply concerned when Mrs Jones told him about the incident.

He was in discussions with the authority's legal action to see if a by-law or other measure could make it compulsory for dogs to be kept on a lead anywhere within the Gnoll estate at all times.

"It's a very popular place and at this time of year there are a lot of children around," said Mr Rees.
"This could easily have happened to a child, that is my big fear."

(This is South Wales - April 8, 2013)