Wednesday, May 15, 2013

5/2/13: Girl recovering following dog attack, dog owners apologize

KENTUCKY -- Man's best friend or vicious animal? You decide.

 One family says it was a vicious attack that could have been prevented, but the other says it was an accident and they are sorry.

 8-year-old Arissa Kestner says she does not remember much of last Friday afternoon.

 "What were you doing outside?," we asked. "Playing," she replied.



 
 


But she does remember a few things.

"I was talking to Jocelyn, and it bit me," she said.

She is talking about her grandparents' neighbor's dog.

Police say Arissa was playing outside after school when the dog broke off its chain and attacked her leaving her with serious wounds.


 "When I arrived at the hospital, I was just horrified. That's the best way I can put it," said Deputy Tim Clark.

 The dog's owners, Donnie and Chrystal Castle, say they got it when it was just a puppy, and they say it has been raised with their five small children. So they say they never expected anything like this to happen.

 "He never did show any signs of being mean. I don't know what happened. I don't know what happened that day," said Chrystal Castle.

 Police say records show the dog has attacked before.

 "He had bit before but he didn't puncture or didn't have any, it was a bruising and scratching and stuff. So I thought well is she ok? Is it alright? It couldn't be that bad because he's never done that, and when he showed me the pictures I just couldn't believe it was my dog," said Castle.

 

 She says when she saw the 11 centimeter gash in Arissa's side she was shocked.

 "I'm very very sorry for Arissa. I really am because I know she'll be scared the rest of her life, and it's because of my animal," said Castle.

 Arissa says she is doing better, but both families agree it is a day they never want to relive.

 Police plan to charge Donnie Castle with a misdemeanor charge of harboring a vicious animal.
 The Castles say they plan to have the dog euthanized.

(WYMT - May 2, 2013)

Earlier: