Saturday, June 8, 2013

South Austin woman says dog rescued her from pit bull attack

TEXAS -- A South Austin woman was hospitalized after she was attacked by a dog.

Austin police responded to the 8100 block of West Gate around 7:30 a.m. Thursday. Laurie Ann Duty says she was outside in her front yard when her neighbor's two pit bull dogs came charging toward her.


"I though they were the hounds from hell. They knocked me down, ripped my pants, and started chewing on my feet," said Duty.

Austin police had to use a taser on one of the dogs.

"One of the dogs charged an officer. The dog was tased," said Veneza Aguinaga, a spokeswoman for the Austin Police Department.

Then Duty says something amazing happened. A third dog named Rex saved her life.


"He ran over and knocked the dogs off me and laid down on top of me. It was a miracle. They could have gone for my throat, if it wasn't for Rex," Duty said.

The owners were cited for having loose dogs and improper tags. The pit bull dog will remain in quarantine for the next 10 days.

Duty is expected to make a full recovery.

(khou - June 7, 2013)