Saturday, October 12, 2013

Local Pit bull lovers now fear dogs after 6-year-old attacked

TEXAS -- A local pit bull owner says she loved the breed, but now can't help but be afraid of them.

She's watching her 6-year-old nephew recover after being brutally attacked.




Climbing at the playground is Gavin Guzman's favorite thing to do. It's hard to see, but he carries a deep scar wherever he goes caused by his best friend, Bear.

"Walk in and say his name. He was a big baby. Gavin played with him all the time," said Maggie Bain, Gavin's aunt who owned the pit bull.


She put him down after an attack in November of 2012. The longtime family pet turned on Gavin.

"I walked to it. I pet it, and I walked away. It jumped on my back, and I turned around and it bit my face right here," said Gavin.


"My boyfriend at the time ran over there and slid on the ground and had to pry Bear's mouth off of Gavin's face," said Bain. "I just remember looking at him and seeing blood pouring out of his neck and I was terrified. I didn't know if he cut something in his throat."


Gavin's jaw was crushed. He has nerve damage and went through 12 surgeries in less than a year.
His mother, Laura Smith, calls him a champion

"He has been so strong through all of this. He has been such a soldier being so strong, I don't think I would have gotten through it," said Smith.

His aunt wants others to think about the dangers of their pet before it's too late.


"It's hard for people to picture your own dog ever doing that but it can," said Bain.

Gavin will undergo his 13th surgery next month for reconstruction on his face.

(FOX26 - Oct 10, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment