Thursday, April 10, 2014

Child Attacked by Pit Bulls, Grandfather Arrested

MISSISSIPPI -- "The fight was right here. I tried to get in this closet trying to cover her up where they were getting to her but I couldn't get to her in there. They pulled me down. They drug me, her and the baby slam out the yard," Donald Mullins tells News Channel 12 his four-year-old granddaughter was attacked by three of his pit bulls.

He says she was walking through a hallway in his home in Harrisville when the dogs attacked. He says he normally keeps this door closed off where his dogs were. "I guess they sensed that she was in here, they pulled the bottom of the door," says Mullins. He says he and his girlfriend fought to get the dogs off of the four-year-old.

"I finally had to quit what I was doing and run and grab my pistol and I come out and started shooting. I started shooting them in the head," says Mullins. He owns 10 pit bulls and says he shot the three that attacked the young girl.

"I called Dozer (a pit bull) to come back in I shot him I think three more time I think and he died right there in the room," says Mullins.

Mullins tells us the child lost an eye, has a broken jawbone, and a couple of broken ribs. She's expected to recover after having reconstructive surgery.

 "I tell you that was a horrible site. I never planned for my dogs to ever get to her. I always try to keep my dogs in my pins," says Mullins.


Simpson County Sheriff Kenneth Mullins and his girlfriend, Rita Tompkins were arrested and charged with child endangerment. They bonded out last night. Mullins says, "They had pits in the house with the grandchild along with three more that were vicious in the back yard. They failed to provide a safe place for the child to play or reside."

"I just hope she, hope she recovers," says Mullins.

Sheriff Lewis says they took eight of the pit bulls and they've been turned over to the Mississippi Animal Rescue League. He says Simpson County currently has no pit bull ordinances.

(WJTV - April 10, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment