Monday, October 20, 2014

Jack Russell terrier saves his Whitebridge master in vicious dog attack

UNITED KINGDOM -- OUT of the most ‘‘horrific’’ of circumstances, Alan Bennett now has a new best friend.

The 65-year-old believes he could have died in a vicious dog attack at his Whitebridge home last week if not for the heroic actions of a Jack Russell terrier.

Mr Bennett had been acting as a temporary foster carer for the dog, named Jack, because he had been abandoned by his previous owner.

However, he is now in the process of adopting him through Dog Rescue Newcastle because of ‘‘all that he has done for me’’.

Mr Bennett said his house looked like something out of a ‘‘murder scene’’ after an American Staffordshire-cross and a pit bull-cross from a nearby property escaped into his yard last Friday.



He went outside to find the two animals fighting, unwittingly letting three of his own dogs – Jack and two other small pets – into harm’s way.

As he tried to save his own dogs, Mr Bennett said one of the big animals latched onto his leg.

‘‘They tore my calf muscle right through from one side to the other,’’ he said.

‘‘My heel was ripped and torn and I’ve got puncture marks in my right arm which was pretty bad, too. ‘I had to keep my arms around my head because they were going for my neck. My face was covered in blood, the whole floor was covered in blood and the biggest one dragged me by the leg.

‘‘That’s when Jack jumped in and acted as a diversion so I could get away and make sure the other dogs were safe. He was taking on two dogs who were three times his size.

 

‘‘He has stitches like me now and a bucket around his head to stop him from scratching them.’’

Mr Bennett said a neighbour heard what was happening and called the police and an ambulance.

One dog responsible for mauling Mr Bennett was seized by Lake Macquarie Council rangers while the other escaped.

The incident is one of three dog attacks to occur in the region in three weeks – prompting the council to remind pet owners to be responsible and keep their animals restrained and under control.

The most recent incident happened on Tuesday when a Belgian shepherd-cross escaped from its yard, attacking another dog at a home in Opala Close, Windale.

A woman, 41, who lived at the house tried to break up the fight, suffering serious wounds to her arm.
Another dog, being walked by a woman and two children in Wangi Wangi, died after two roaming animals, described as bull mastiffs, attacked it on September 28.

Despite what has happened to him and others, Mr Bennett – who has been battling prostate cancer –  said he did not think putting dangerous dogs down was the solution.

He loves animals – that’s why he does foster work with Dog Rescue Newcastle.

‘‘You’ve only got to be a part of this rescue and foster group to see how some people have treated animals,’’ he said.

‘‘I think it’s the responsibility of the owner to make sure dogs are microchipped, registered with the council and, if the dog is not a proper breeder, then de-sexed.’’

Mr Bennett said he was glad he could now give Jack a proper home.

‘‘I think we’re going to have a wonderful relationship and I’m so glad I can keep him,’’ he said.

‘‘He’s still following me everywhere to make sure I’m all right. ‘He has such a gentle nature and he’s very obedient. He saved my life.’’

(Newcastle Herald - Oct 15, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment