Tuesday, January 6, 2015

California: Horse, rider survive vicious pit bull attack. Owner grabbed dog and fled

CALIFORNIA -- Animal control officers are trying to determine if a pit bull that viciously attacked a horse in the East County is the same dog that attacked a rider three years ago.

Stacey Russell and a friend were out riding on Quail Canyon Road in unincorporated El Cajon Sunday afternoon when a loose pit bull came charging from a house. Russell said the dog lunged at her horse's neck.


  

"When the dog came, I took my foot out of the stirrup and kicked the dog in the head to get him away from his neck," Russell told 10News.

The 26-year-old horse, named Rapture, is blind in one eye. Russell said the dog would not back down.


"He hit against Rapture and Rapture spun and went down and I went the other direction and came down on my back and my head," she said. "I really thought I was watching my horse being torn alive, torn to death, just shredded."

The horse suffered large flesh wounds on his legs and hind quarters, but is expected to recover.

While Russell was down on the ground, she said the dog chased her horse for more than half a mile. Fellow rider Cheryl Paz took off after the dog.

 
 

"I ended up trampling over the dog with my horse and I had a crack whip in my hand so I started beating the dog on the head and finally he rolled onto the street and kind of just stopped stunned there," said Paz.

"PIT AND RUN" - OWNER FLED WITH PIT BULL
They said the owner was yelling after the dog and then someone came by in a car, grabbed the dog and sped off.

Russell said another rider was attacked by a pit bull matching the dog's description outside the same house three years ago.

"They said that the dog is from Pennsylvania and he's from Pennsylvania, but three years ago they said the dog was from L.A. and he was from L.A.," said Russell.

Where the pit bull lives

San Diego County Animal Control is still investigating. The owner could be cited for creating a public nuisance.

"Unfortunately, the dog is dangerous. He needs to be put down. I have pit bulls. I think it's the owners that cause the problems with any kind of dog," said Russell.

The woman attacked in 2011 did not pursue charges.

It's 50% this woman's fault because she refused to press charges and try to get the dog declared dangerous or euthanized. She probably was one of those apologists who felt sorry for it, willing herself to believe it was "trained to be mean". 

Russell has already filed a complaint.

"I think the owner needs to be in jail or something severe needs to happen to him for allowing this dog to be like this and to let it run free," she said.

Russell rescued Rapture 15 years ago from inhumane conditions. She now runs Rapture's Horse Rescue Foundation in El Cajon.

(10News - Dec 31, 2014)

No comments: