Monday, February 23, 2015

Amazing Dog: Biscuit, the Shih Tzu

VIRGINIA -- Biscuit the Shih Tzu was just a puppy when he ran away from his new owner who had him less than 24 hours. It took police, animal control officers and members of the community two years to catch him.

"I think he's gorgeous. And I definitely thought he was very, very cute the first time I ever saw him," said Mary Ann Rashid.

  
 

Biscuit now leads a charmed life in Oakton, Virginia, adopted by the Rashid family.

"He has us wrapped around his four little paws, he really does," said Faisal Rashid.

But in April of 2013, when Biscuit was finally surrounded by about 15 people and captured, he was tick-covered mass of matted hair and bones after two years on the run in Franconia.



"My reaction was 'Oh my God, we got him. I can't believe we got him," said Fairfax County Animal Control Officer Enna Lugo. Shewho never gave up on catching Biscuit, who scavenged for food, endured the elements, and somehow avoided getting hit by a car or attacked by predator.

Said Officer Lugo, "Sometimes I'd look over and scan. I'm like, 'oh, he's not here today. And I'd go to move to a different spot and he'd raise his head. I'm like 'oh my God, he was right in front of me' and I couldn't see him because he just blended with the leaves and everything."

Her greatest fear was that Biscuit's condition would be so poor, he couldn't be saved. But the ten pound dog emerged from the woods with just a scratch on his eye.

"He was always very nervous and like, oh my gosh, where am I? This is so scary," recalled 12 year-old Julia Rashid of the early days of owning Biscuit. "But now, he's very relaxed."

Biscuit's family has witnessed a dramatic change in his personality.


"Occasionally when we're walking, he just prances," added 11 year-old Sam Rashid.

"He loves being around his people. And we're his people now," said Mary Ann.

The Rashids gave Biscuit a permanent home. He's given them unconditional love.

"You always have that sneaky suspicion that there was something missing in our lives," said Faisal. "Getting him, I don't know, it's just brought us all together."


Biscuit loves riding shotgun and is calm until he hears the garage door open.

"He gets really, really excited. It's like, okay, I'm home now," said Faisal.

Not only did Officer Lugo's persistence likely save Biscuit's life, she remains in touch with his new family. And even pet-sits Biscuit on the rare occasions the Rashids travel somewhere they can't take their beloved dog with them.

Biscuit's previous owner—who had him less than a day before he ran away—did search for him for several months, but gave up hope, bought another dog and moved on. She eventually surrendered him to a shelter, where he was spotted by the Rashids.

(WUSA9 - Feb 20, 2015)

1 comment: