Sunday, May 10, 2015

Youngstown woman recovering from pit bull attack at park

OHIO -- “Horrifying” and “terrifying”... Those are two words used by a south side woman to describe her encounter with a dog while exercising at a city park.

June Calhoun was taking a late morning walk at Jackson Park in the area of Lenox and Windsor Streets, when she found herself caught in a pit bull's stare.

"I didn't hear him. I didn't see where he came from. He jumped at me."


After the dog knocked June down, she found a stick and threw it at him. He backed off, but as she was trying to get up, he jumped on her again.

"Oh they can jump so high. Unbelievable! And he's muscle, you know, he knocked me down."

Her arms took the brunt of the dog's aggression because June was trying to protect a more vital part of her body.

"I don't know where I got that strength, but I was going to survive because he was trying to go for my neck. And why I was putting my arms up like that."

Calhoun was able to signal a jeep passing by as the dog was distracted.

"And I was able to run over to the truck but he saw me again and came after me again. I was able to get in the truck before he get to me."

June says the dog ripped the skin on her right wrist. She also has bites on her left hand, arm and knee. Her right shoulder was also injured in the attack.

According to the Youngstown Police report, the dog was not licensed for this year.

The Mahoning County Dog Warden plans to issue citations to its owner for failure to control and failure to register.

Currently, the dog is being quarantined in the owner's possession.

Calhoun says for now, she's afraid to go out of her home. She wonders out loud, “What if it had been a child in the park that morning?”

(WFMJ - May 8, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment