Monday, July 13, 2015

Jena Wright gets minimum 10-year prison sentence in 4-year-old's fatal dog attack case

IOWA -- A former Iowa day care owner was sentenced Monday to 10 years in prison in connection with a fatal dog attack on a 4-year-old girl.
Jena Wright, 26, was convicted in May of child endangerment causing serious injury, neglect of a dependent person, assault on a police officer and interference with official acts.

Wright was babysitting 4-year-old Jordyn Arndt when police said Wright's dog attacked and killed Arndt in 2013.

 

Jasper County prosecutors said she could get a maximum sentence of 35 years in prison.

KCCI's Mark Tauscheck reported that Wright received a sentence of 10 years for the child endangerment charge, 10 years for the neglect charge, 1 year for assault and 2 years for interference.

The sentences will run concurrently (at the same time), meaning she will likely serve 10 years behind bars.

Wright addressed the court during the sentencing for the first time after not testifying at the trial.

Wright spoke for about four minutes, Tauscheck reported, with most of her statement addressed directly at Jordyn's mother, Jessica, who she called her best friend. Wright recalled visiting Jessica in the hospital when Jordyn was born.

"Every night my dreams take me back to that tragic day. I miss Jordyn and Jessica every day and ache to be able to change what happened. There are no words that can possibly to justice or explain how heavy my heart is for this loss. I am sincerely sorry,"

Wright said she misses Jessica and is sad about losing both of them.  She talked about being pregnant at the same time as Jessica.

"I did not knowingly act in a reckless manner or intentionally place Jordyn Arndt in harm's way.  I wish more than anything I could go back and change what happened, undo the damage that has been done, but I know I cannot," said Wright.

 
 
Wright said she loved Jordyn like she was her own.

"Jessica, I'm truly sorry for the loss of Jordyn and the hurt I have unintentionally caused you and your family.  I hope that you can remember the goes times that we shared and I pray that one day you can find it in your heart to forgive me," said Wright.

Following the sentencing, Tauscheck asked Jordyn's father what he thought about Wright's statement.

Jason Arndt said he would have believed the remarks were more sincere if Wright had shown more emotion during the trial and testimony that included graphic photos of Jordyn after the dog attack.

(KCCI - July 13, 2015)

Earlier:

No comments:

Post a Comment