Saturday, February 20, 2016

West Virginia: Two women are heroes for stopping and comforting dying horse

WEST VIRGINIA -- The Logan County Sheriff's Department is investigating a suspected case of animal cruelty in Chapmanville.

A horse was spotted lying motionless in the snow Tuesday, and later passed away.


The two women who found the horse said it was lying on the cold, muddy ground, trying to move but couldn't. They said it broke their hearts, and now several people are working together to try to figure out what happened.

It all started when the two women stumbled upon a heartbreaking situation along North Fork Road in Chapmanville on Tuesday. They decided to post photos on Facebook of a horse lying in an icy, muddy field, on its last breath.

"I noticed it was laying in the field and the other horses were grazing. I stopped and got out and watched it you could see it was trying to move its legs; they weren't moving like they should," Brittany Pridemore said.

 
This poor horse is still alive, dying in the cold

Amber Neece and Pridemoore did what they could to comfort the horse in its final moments. Neece said they used blankets and placed the horse's head in her lap.

"It just stared at me; it completely broke my heart in two because there was nothing I could do for the horse. I pet it and all that my main goal was for me and to her to make it feel comfortable get it warm and it know it is loved before it passed away," Neece said.


The Logan County Sheriff's Department is now investigating and there are two other horses still on the property.

"Based off the info I've receive from witnesses and photos it does look concerning. If in fact the horse was starved and the other two are in the condition described animal cruelty charges would be appropriate," West Virginia director of the Humane Society of the United States, Heather Servert said.


"It's completely heartbreaking. No animal deserves to go the way that that horse did and that horse needs justice," Neece said.

The Heart of Phoenix Equine Rescue is helping with the investigation.

Servert said if the other two horses are in poor condition, she hopes something can be done to help them.

(Fox11 - Feb  17, 2016)

Amber's Facebook post:

UPDATE. JUST GOT HOME. THE PEOPLE WHO "OWNED" THE 3 HORSES HASN'T BEEN HOME IN MONTHS. SUPPOSEDLY, SOME PEOPLE ON UP THE HOLLER WERE SUPPOSED TO BE FEEDING THEM. ONE OF THE OTHERS HAS AN EYE INFECTION. THE OTHER LOOKED OK BESIDES ALL 3 BEING MALNOURISHED. ME AND Brittany Pridemore WERE THE ONLY ONES THERE FOR A WHILE. PEOPLE WOULD JUST STOP AND STARE. OFFERER 0 HELP.

FINALLY THIS WOMAN COMES SAYING THEY'RE HERS. SHE BOUGHT THE HORSE FROM A MAN IN GILBERT FOR $50. ????? NOT BUYING IT. SHE BLAMED HER SON. SHE WAS HIGHER THAN A KITE. INSTEAD OF BUYING DRUGS THE HORSES NEED FOOD. SHE SAID THEY HAD FOOD WATER. SO BRITTANY LOOKED IT WAS A BUCKET FOR 3 HORSES SOLID ICE. NO FOOD. SOME WOMAN GAVE SOME FEED. THE "OWNER" SAID WELL WENT I WENT DOWN THE ROAD EARLIER IT WAS LAYING. I FIGURED IT ATE TO MUCH. REALLY!!!!!!! WE COVERED IT UP TRYING TO MAKE IT COMFORTABLE AND I TOLD HER IT'S MALNOURISHED. SHE SCREAMS NO IT AIN'T. I SAID YEH IT IS. LIFTED THE BLANKET AND I SAID YOU SEE THOSE HIP BONES? ??? SO SHE SAID IT'S AN OLD HORSE YADA YADA THEN THE ORIGINAL OWNER PULLS UP. IT'S A 14 MONTH OLD HORSE. 

 

I SAT AT ITS HEAD HOPING FOR A MIRACLE. YOU COULD SEE WHERE IT'S TRIED TO GET UP. I'M NO VET , BUT I'VE WORKED AT A VET AND STUDYING TO BECOME A TECH NOW SO I HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE OF ANIMALS. FIRST THING WHEN I GOT THERE I LOOKED AT ITS GUMS AND TONGUE. WHEN THEIR BLOOD ISN'T CIRCULATING AND SOMETHING ON THE INSIDE IS GOING ON. I LOOKED MORE AND IT'S TONGUE IS ALSO WHITE. I KNEW THEN, THE HORSE ISN'T GOING TO MAKE IT. SO IT'S EYES STARTED GLAZING THEN WOULD TURN RED. GASPING FOR BREATH. I LOVED ALL OVER THIS HORSE AND TOLD IT IT'S OKAY TO GO. YOU'RE BETTER OFF THAN HAVING THIS WOMAN CARE FOR YOU. SHE SEEMED TO THINK IT WAS OVER FED ???? I TOLD HER. THEY AREN'T LIFELESS IF THEY EAT TOO MUCH. YES I WAS A SMART ASS.

 

IF YOU KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO BUY DRUGS INSTEAD OF TAKING THE RESPONSIBILITY OF AN ANIMAL. DON'T GET IT. HORSES ARE HARD WORK. WELL AFTER I LOVED ON THE HORSE MADE IT A PILLOW AND COVERED IT UP SHE FINALLY SAT THERE WITH IT. I KNEW IT WAS A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE IT PASSED. I SAID LEAVE HER DOWN THERE WITH IT ALONE AND LET HER SEE WHAT SHE'S DONE. SHE LEFT THE HORSE LAYING ALL DAY UNTIL US STRANGERS TRIED TO HELP. I AM COMPLETELY DISGUSTED, SHE WAS BARELY MAKIN IT WHEN I LEFT. I PRAY THAT HORSE GOES PEACEFULLY AND SOMEONE GETS THE OTHERS. ALSO.

SHE NEEDS TO PAY FOR THE HOURS OF SUFFERING THAT BABY ENDURED. PLEASE SHARE AND GET THIS STORY OUT SO SHE CAN PAY AND MAYBE THE OTHER 2 CAN GET A GOOD HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment