Saturday, April 16, 2016

Australia: Grandfather mourns death of 16 year old pet after vicious pit bull attack

AUSTRALIA -- A Perth grandfather has lost his beloved pet and is facing the prospect of plastic surgery after a savage dog attack near Mandurah.

Neil Sheppard said a pit bull latched on to his dog, Oliver, determined to kill.


Mr Sheppard said he was walking Oliver in Singleton on Thursday evening when, out of nowhere, another dog attacked.

“This dog hit Oliver with a massive crash and I didn’t know what had happened,” he said.

“I didn’t know where it had come from and the dog had latched on to him and just started tearing him to pieces.

 

“The dog was just going straight for the kill. There was no hesitation, there was no barking, there wasn’t a growl. It wasn’t a fight.”

A woman who lives nearby arrived home just as the attack started.

Despite being terrified and having a two-year-old in her car, the woman bravely managed to pull the attacking dog off Oliver.

Oliver was taken to the vet, but his injuries were so severe that the family pet of 16 years had to be put down.

RIP Oliver

“He died in my arms and we said goodbye and he went away peacefully,” Mr Sheppard said.

Oliver’s leg was mauled down to the bone. Parts of him were skinned, his fur left at the scene.


Mr Sheppard suffered cuts to his hands trying to get the dog away. He has been told he may need plastic surgery.

“Not sleeping too well,” Mr Sheppard said of the loss of his pet.

 
 

“I keep reliving it wondering if there’s anything else I could have done. I don’t think I could have. I think I’m lucky I got out of it like I did.”

Rangers said they know who the owner is but would not comment on whether the dog had been seized.

(The West Australian - April 16, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment