Friday, September 9, 2016

Texas: Yorkie was killed by killed by pit bull; devasted owner says dog walker then tried to flee with the 3 pit bulls he was walking

TEXAS -- MY DOG WAS ATTACKED AND KILLED 2 days ago-THURSDAY AFTERNOON, ON MY OWN PATIO BY OF APARTMENT by A PIT BULL being walked by a pet walking service, Michael Polakoff, Founder and Owner of Pet Central DFW.

My 6.4 pound Yorkshire terrier's neck was snapped and killing him ON MY OWN PROPERTY by a 85 pound pit bull (one of 3 dogs Michael Polakoff was attempting to walk all at ONCE on 3 separate leashes) through my apartment complex, while the pet owner was out of town.

This photo is so sad - his little smiling face.
RIP little Henry. 

My boyfriend and best friend whom witnessed the 5-7 second attack suddenly saw Michael Polakoff not even look twice to check if my dog was alright, but immediately run off with all 3 of the dogs, as fast as he could around the corner in full speed.

Thank God one he was chased down by one of individuals who witnessed it. He was after running about a quarter of a mile, chased him down and he was stopped in front of his car trying to flee the scene after killing my animal.

MY HEART IS BROKEN.

PET CENTRAL DFW is NOT what the advertise on the website...
Instead, unfortunately is quite the opposite.


Everyone who knew my Henry knew how sweet he always was, never had a mean bone in his entire body-and just like that...he was taken in such a horrible manor and all due to lack of responsibility of a business OWNER who let a aggressive dog approach my dog, getting close enough, to almost pull him fully thru, my gate posts on my apartment patio and snap my dogs neck in one damn lock onto him. Fully admitting he knew the dog was a rescue and abused in its passed etc...
I still cannot believe it. I cannot make into words how much i miss him.

PLEASE SHARE THIS PLEASE.
SO JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED- THAT MICHAEL POLAKOFF & Pet Central DFW will no longer be a danger to other pets or their owners- ANIMAL CONTROL WILL PUT THAT DOG DOWN - SOMETHING. ANYTHING.
PLEASE
RIP HENRY i love you.

 

About PET CENTRAL DFW:
Some Information About Your Future Pet Sitter/Dog Walker:
I earned my Ph.D. in Animal Behavior from the University of California at Davis in 1997.  I am a lifelong pet owner, whose pets have included dogs, cats, birds, and spiders.  I have extensive experience in dealing with special needs pets.  Throughout my life, the needs of my animals have always been my top priority.  And I’ll treat your pet with the same care and compassion that I’ve always treated my own.

So why did I decide to become a pet sitter/dog walker?  After earning my Ph.D. I had had enough of academia and decided to try working in the real world for a bit.  However, after years of office work, I decided that I couldn’t take it anymore.  Working in an office doing a job that I didn’t enjoy was driving me crazy.  I wanted to be my own boss, and I wanted to work with animals again.  The whole reason that I went for a degree in Animal Behavior was that I love animals.  The academic world, though, sucked all the fun out of working with animals.  I enjoyed research, but I didn’t want to be imprisoned by the publish or perish mentality of research universities.  Becoming a pet sitter/dog walker gives me the joy of working with animals without the tedium of applying for grants, analyzing data, and trying to get articles published.  All I’ve ever wanted was to do something that would make me happy.  If I can bring joy to your dogs, cats, and other assorted pets, then I’ll have accomplished that dream.

Michael Polakoff
Founder of Pet Central DFW

 

Another post by the owner of Henry, the little Yorkie killed by the pit bull that Michael Polakoff was walking:

This post has given me some peace of mind that there is still possibility justice will be served for my beloved Henry, whom was attacked and killed by a pit bull on my GATED apartment patio only two days ago. Henry was only 6.4 pounds and the pit bull was an 85 pound female. I cannot think about it without thinking this is all a bad dream,, like i will wake up and it all be over... but reality is-it is not.

The man who was walking the pit bull is named Michael Polakoff- owner of "Pet Central DFW", a private/local pet walking company. Not only was he was walking the pit bull, but AS WELL AS TWO OTHER DOGS as well ON THREE SEPARATE LEASHES all at one time. I don't know one man I've ever met who could have such a talent to be able to control three full sized dogs in any safe or professional type of manner, honestly.

 

When Polakoff was approaching my first-floor apartment patio, the pit bull instantly saw my dog Henry who was standing inside my metal gated/closed in porch. The man grabbed back on the pit bulls leash yet allowed him to walk over the grass (that separates the sidewalk to my closed in patio), for what reason GOD ONLY KNOWS. Not a full 8-10 seconds MAX* after my boyfriend noticed the man allowing his pet to come so close to ours- the pit bull suddenly made a fast-teeth growl and and latched immediately onto my Henry snapping his neck, did not move once and killing him instantly.

The first thing the pet walker, Polakoff did was take off running...Three dogs and all. My boyfriend jumped the gate after him chasing his over a quarter of a mile to where the actual home of the pit bull and 2 other dogs lived, jumping in front of his car to stop him from taking off!

He got out of the car, started apologizing, etc...then was interrupted by my boyfriend rushing him to get Henry to HELP.

He was announced dead on arrival after being rushed to the emergency pet facility less than two blocks over.

I don't know what to do. The guy had no business walking in my complex, as the pets actual owner does not even live there on the property.

I am devastated and cannot stop thinking about why animal control will NOT euthanize the pit bull after such an awful experience- ON MY OWN PROPERTY AT THAT. I have spoke to animal control and they were almost 99% certain that it would not even be put down.

I feel justice shall be served for Henry's sake.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kristen Wallace
Irving, TX

Unfortunately there's little chance the dog will be euthanized unless the pit bull owner consents - and this isn't just a Texas response, it's pretty typical around the country (even dogs that kill children aren't always euthanized -- "Rhodesian Ridgeback named Onion to be sent to a 'rescue' after killing little boy"). 

What she needs to do is get an attorney and sue Michael Polakoff. I'm a bit confused about when victims can collect and when they can't. This article from 2010 seems like they were successful ("Dog Attacks and Injures or Kills Another Dog – Are Damages Available in Texas?", but this article from 2013 seems like they weren't successful ("Texas Supreme Court Denies Emotional-Injury Damages for Pet Owners") -- an attorney can figure all this out.

At the very minimum it seems that Polakoff could be charged with Reckless Damage or Destruction, which isn't much but at least there would be something on his record ("Class C misdemeanors in Texas are punishable by a fine of up to $500. There is no jail time for a class C misdemeanor."):

Texas Penal Code § 28.04. Reckless Damage or Destruction
(a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner, he recklessly damages or destroys property of the owner.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

I would argue that Polakoff was walking too many dogs to effectively maintain control of them. Also, I would argue that Polakoff, being involved in the animal business, had prior knowledge of the issue with bully breeds being aggressive and also being very strong. A reasonable person would have known this - so there's even more of a burden of liability on him since he considers himself an expert regarding animals. 

Bottom line: If something this horrible ever happens to you, get an attorney. 

Related: "Damages for Death or Injury of an Animal"

5 comments:

  1. It is too bad there is no fact-checking on social media. I am horrified by the cruel lies that are being spread about Michael Polakoff. Anyone who knows him knows this is unfounded libel. The owner of the Yorkie was not at home when the incident occurred and so has no first-hand knowledge of what happened, and she has not spoken to her boyfriend who was home and accompanied Mr. Polakoff to the vet. The small Yorkie had slipped through the owner's gate and was running unleashed. As soon as the incident happened, Michael Polakoff pried open the jaws of the pit bull and went to the neighbor's home. She was not home but her boyfriend was, and he and Mr. Polakoff immediately drove to the vet. He called the pit bull's owner on the way (verifiable). Mr. Polakoff paid all the vet bills (verifiable) and refused reimbursement. He loves all animals and grieved for this pet. When he finally reached the Yorkie's owner, she stated she just wanted another dog from the same breeder. Mr. Polakoff immediately agreed. However, the owner then posted these vicious, libelous fictions. Mr. Polakoff told her that her boyfriend would tell her the truth, but she said she had not spoken to him. I cannot imagine why not. Mr. Polakoff has proof of what actually happened on this sad day but does not have the money to retain a lawyer and sue for libel. It seems odd that no one from this blog has attempted to contact Mr. Polakoff for his side of the story. If there is a lawyer who loves animals reading this, please consider contacting Michael Polakoff so he can continue pouring his heart and soul into caring for animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame to see such terrible lies spread on this page. Michael is fantastic and this person should be sewed for libeL against him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael Polakoff has a PhD in animal behavior. He has dedicated his life to animal care. This woman used lies, intimidation and slander to get a payout of thousands of dollars from his company. This attention seeker fails to mention that he did not flee the scene of the accident but in fact took the dog to the nearest animal hospital and did everything he could. Irresponsible blogs like this are hurting an innocent man's business. You should take this blog down and go after slimy and shady business owners. Dr. Polakoff is not of them. Even Yelp pulled her review off, which they rarely do their website because the contents of her slander violated the terms of their policy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please take this slander down. Its evil. U got your payday and your sympathy and did it with lies. Why are u people so irresponsible. I have a masters in journalism. U didn't even check facts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please take this post down. It is the first thing that comes up when people google me

    ReplyDelete