Saturday, November 26, 2016

Florida: Doberman named Odin attacked by a loose pit bull; woman lectures them for saying a "pit bull" did it

FLORIDA -- This little boy was attacked by a stray "pit bull" on his morning walk today. Carrie and a neighbor fought him off and called animal control.

Odin is fine, a little scrape on his nose and he has a pretty close "trim" around the cut. Tough day, since I could not come home to with him at the Dr.

By the way, I love our vets (Drs Nicolas and Lopez) at Mantanza's River Animal Hospital.

Carrie R. Marvin - We are both ok. I'm amazed that Odin didn't have a big puncture wound from the teeth. It was such a horrible sight. Odin trying to get away, me and Peggy hitting the crap out of the dog's face, Peggy fell in the road, the dog wouldn't let go, if he did, I didn't want him to attack us or Odin try to go at him. Completely awful, and so thankful that Odin just has a bruised and swollen jaw/neck. I must repeat that our vet is awesome.

 
 

Ellen Smith Lucas - When I first read Jim's post, all I could think of is how traumatic it must have been for you and your neighbor. SO scary. Glad you're okay physically. Poor Odin, did his neck/jaw get injured from the leash?

Carrie R. Marvin - Ellen Smith Lucas, very traumatic. Odin's injury is from the dog grabbing him and not letting go. This went on for what seemed forever. That's why we were beating as hard as we could on the other dog's head. I'm not happy to say we had to do that, but we had to do it to protect Odin. Miraculously, the teeth barely broke any skin, nothing that warranted antibiotics. Animal Control called me for a statement, the guy on the phone did a very good job today. He definitely has one tough job!

Ellen Smith Lucas Was the dog still in the area when animal control showed up?

Carrie R. Marvin Ellen Smith Lucas -yes, he was able to catch him. Was chipped and on his way to the owner. I called later and he said the owner claims he was missing for 2 months and surrendered the dog. I feel bad for the dog, don't know his story, probably will not be a happy ending for him :(.

Ellen Smith Lucas Carrie R. Marvin I completely understand that sentiment, but I'm sure it's best in order to save future potential victims. Today could have ended much worse for all three of you, as I know you know.

Chip Gionet - There is no future for that poor dog. Pitt Bulls get a horrible reputation for this behavior and more often than not, the owner is to blame, wanting the image of having such a 'killer' dog. On the other hand, we rescued a litter of pit bulls once and one of them, as puppies, put in to kill her sister. An operation and many stitches later, the sister was ok. This dog, Jordan,the one that tried to kill her litter-mate, was in the yard with us one day, along with our permanent dogs, and got into the electric fence. She turned around and saw Duncan, our Australian Shepherd, and decided on the spot that he caused it. She stalked him for days and was determined to kill him. Sometimes that behavior is just there. And it is not limited to Pit Bulls; other dogs can have that temperament as well, just that Pit Bulls get the bad rap. When raised correctly, Pit Bulls can be as sweet as kittens. (We have a Pit Bull cross, Mr. Spock, [ears like long range radar] who craves attention and is afraid of his own shadow. He lives to have a doggy buddy, but my Australian Shepherd will have no part of him. She is not dog friendly, but not aggressive unless Mr. Spock tries to breathe her air. :) ) Barney, from the same litter, was a big happy goof ball that loved everybody and went to a home with children that he loved and they loved him. Now if anyone were to threaten those children in Barney's presence, woe be unto them. He reached 80 pounds. We try to keep in touch for a few months with all our placements- if they don't work out, we will take the animal back and try again. We had to do that with another placement from that litter. Jordan went to meet her maker. An animal with that temperament has no business being 'out there'. Gratefully, of the dozen or more rescues we've had, she is the only one. Carrie/Jim, I am so sorry you and Odin had to go through that. No excuse. I'd like to add that all owners should get a chip in their pet. It is not expensive and can save not only your pet, but the heartache of one disappearing. We need to get together for lunch/dinner soon.

Carrie R. Marvin-  Chip Gionet, I was shocked when I was told the owner would be the one to decide to test the dog for aggression. My neighbor was "responsible" since she took him in overnight. Ultimately, the dog was surrendered, which I know is for the best. So thankful Odin came out with little to speak of!

AND OF COURSE, HERE COMES KELLY KINNEY TO TELL HER WHAT SHE SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT SAY...


Kelly Kinney - There is no way to know if a dog is a pit bull or pit mix even, without a DNA test. It does a tremendous amount of damage to the breed to make comments like this. Better to say "attacked by another dog" in the absence of facts. So many people are prejudiced against pits, dobies and yes ... Rotties also.

James Statzer - That's why I used the parenthesis around the word pit bull. Not meaning anything derogatory against the breed.

Kelly Kinney - I know you didn't mean anything by it but it does promote prejudice. I walked at least 10 (perhaps bully breeds) yesterday. All sweet, all hoping for a break and many of them will never get one simply because of perception.

Kelly Kinney - BTW, the only shelter dog that tried to bite me yesterday was a chiwawa (I am sure I spelled that wrong) and the only time I've been bitten at the shelter was by a border collie mix. The bully breeds (including rotties) I am not afraid of, lol.

Kinney says a vicious Chihuahua tried to attack her