Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Indiana: "There were three grown men beating, choking, doing anything we could to get this dog off of my little Zita. Nothing would free it's grip"

INDIANA -- My sister and I have had a terrible last few months. This week was especially horrible. This page will explain everything. Please share.

GoFundMe link: My little Zita's vet bills
Created December 26, 2016 by Matt Cadle  
MERRILLVILLE, IN


It's not easy for me to write about this nor is it easy for me to ask for any kind of charity, but sometimes, I guess, it's what you just have to do.

About five days ago a huge stray pit bull was wandering around my home. I was outside near my truck and my sister opened the door to tell me something. Right at that same moment I noticed that the stray dog had wounds on it. I yelled for my sister to close the door. It was too late. The dog had already seen my Zita inside the home.

It literally shoved the door open ran inside my home and immediately attacked my Zita. It locked onto the back of her neck. There was nothing my dog could do. I began to beat the dog with anything that I could get my hands on. Three of my neighbors heard my sister's screams and they ran over to help.


There were three grown men beating, choking, doing anything we could to get this dog off of my little Zita. Nothing would free it's grip. After all, Zita is only 40 pounds and this pit bull was at least 80 to 90 pounds.

Finally, somehow, the dog finally lost it's grip. Zita ended up having a severe puncture wound to the back of her neck.

The police were called. They arrived along with an animal control officer. They took the dog to the local Humane Society. The Animal Control Officer pointed out cut marks on the dog that were caused by a knife. Obviously this dog was abused & trained to attack and kill other dogs. I do not blame the dog.  I blame the sick disgusting person who 'raised' it.

Not having any money to my name, I didn't bring her to the vet until today (Christmas Day). I also truly believed that she would be fine. I really did.

Zita didn't look well this morning. There was a ton of pus all over the wound. I applied online for an emergency pet credit card, but I was denied. My sister applied and was given $700 credit. I took Zita into the animal emergency vacility. She had to have emergency surgery performed. She had developed an extrememly bad infection all the way around the inside of her neck area. The vet had to insert 5 drainage plugs which need to be flushed for the next 3-5 days.

The bill for the surgery, medication and other services came close to the $700 that my sister was approved for. But I still need to take Zita to the vet at least 3 to 5 more times and I have no idea how much it's going to be or how I'm going to pay for it.

Those of you who know me, may know that I suffer from severe clinical depression and very bad anxiety disorder. I have fought depression my entire life. The past 10 or more years my conditions have worsened much more. It may not be an excuse to some, but it's the reason I haven't been able to make any type of living. Every day is a battle just to stay alive.

The two reasons I am still on this earth is because of my sister Joanne and my dog Zita. They are the only two reasons I live for. My sister Joanne, whom is disabled (which is a whole other story), lives with me. She gets a very small SSI check which has been our only income for the past several years.


My sister and I never had the chance to have children (me by choice, my sister because she physically couldn't). So Zita is literally like my daughter and Joanne's niece. we both love her more than anything in the world.

When Zita was attacked, it was one of the most traumatic experiences that my sister and I have ever experienced. I really thought my little girl was going to die. I cannot even describe it in words. It was absolutely horrible. My sister and I are still both in tears ever since it happened. It's something that we, unfortunately, will never forget.

I still cannot believe that I started a gofundme page. To tell you the honest truth, I feel like a complete loser asking people for money. I would never ask for money for any other circumstance. But I have to do what I have to do. I have no other options. I have to swallow my pride and save my baby.

My sister and I both would be extremely and eternally grateful for any donations that you could spare.

Update 1
I thought I would add a picture of Zita's post operation. There are a total of five drains.

She is doing better today. She has been eating, alert and wants to play a little. I just gave her her pain meds and now she's asleep next to me on my bed. I have to bring her to the vet tonight to have her drains 'flushed' for the first time. I feel so bad, because she is going to be so scared.

Update 2
Just a little update on Zita. She seems to be doing well. She ate her first bowl of food today. She's still alert and acting herself, but still tired at times.

I took her in for the second time to get her drains flushed. The doctor didn't like the way some of the discharge looked, so she took a sample and she's sending it to the lab to be tested. She wants to make sure that it's not another bacteria growing inside her. If it is, then we will have to switch the antibiotics that she's on.




I couldn't pay for the tests yet. Therefore they won't send the sample to the lab yet. I'm waiting for these funds to be deposited into my bank account. Hopefully the money will be in my account by tomorrow.

I'm back to being a nervous wreck again. The vet tech told me that this is not uncommon for a dog bite. I think (hope) they are just making sure that it's not something worse. Hopefully Zita's wounds won't get worse and she can stay on the same medication.

Thank you to all who have donated. I have no idea what I would do without your support.

Much love <3
~Matt

Update 3
Just a pic to go with my last update. The bottom drain is draining the most (gravity). Hopefully the tests that they took will come back ok and Zita will be able to stay on her same antibiotics.

I don't want much out of life. I just want my dog to be ok.

Update 4
I just got back from taking Zita to get her drains flushed. The doctor told me that everything starting to look a little better. It's not as swollen and it's not draining as much. We have to wait for the culture to come back from the lab to make sure that Zita's on the perfect type of antibiotic.

The vet tech told me not to worry. That Zita will be ok. It's just going to take take. I needed to hear that more than anything. I haven't been able to eat or sleep. I couldn't even hold water down last night.

I want to thank everyone that has donated and helped us through this. I truly don't know what we would have done without all your donations, love and compassion. I hope that, in the future, I will have the means to pay all of you back in one way or another.

So much love <3,
~Matt

Update 5
I just got back from taking Zita to get her drains flushed again. Her regular doctor wasn't there, but the vet techs said that everything is looking good. We will head back to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully the culture will come back from the lab ok and Zita can continue on the same antibiotics and the doctor will remove the drains. *fingers crossed*

Zita actually gets excited to go for a ride and visit the clinic. I think I'm more nervous in there than she is! :)

I would like to give a HUGE thank you to everyone who has donated, sent kind notes and shared my campaign. Your compassion and kindness is appreciated more than you'll ever know. You all have been simply amazing!

Thank you! <3 Thank you! <3 Thank you! <3
~Matt


Update 6
Zita is doing very well. Hopefully tomorrow the lab results will be in, she will remain on her same antibiotics and she can get her drains removed.

I cannot thank all of you enough. You are all amazing people. Your generosity, love and compassion has warmed my heart. It's just so nice to know that there are people out there that truly care.

Much love to all of you, <3
~Matt

Update 7
Zita seems to be doing very well. I THINK her drains should be removed tonight when I bring her in. They aren't draining anymore which is, I'm pretty sure, a great sign.

The lab tests came back and Zita has to go on a different antibiotic. I'm a tad nervous, but I'm sure everything will be fine. As I stated above, she seems to be healing very well.

For those of you who want to donate directly to the vet....I am going to speak to the lady at the clinic who handles all the bills. I'll ask her if she can credit my 'care credit' card if someone wants call the vet and donate. I'm pretty sure that they can do that. I don't see why they wouldn't. I'll post another update tonight after I take my Zita in. :)

Once again, a HUGE thank you to everyone! And HUGE thank you to my "ragazza fantastica" Lisa Steczo. Lisa you have helped me so much! <3 YOU! <3 ALL of you!
~Matt

Update 8
Great news everyone! Zita had her drains removed tonight! The lab results showed that she had a different strain of bacteria growing in her, but the Doc put her on another antibiotic and said not to worry. On Sunday the 15th she will most likely get her stitches removed! I am so relieved! My little Zita is gonna be ok!

Thank you once again to everyone that donated and sent notes! Your love and compassion is overwhelming! I truly love all of you! You saved my daughter! :) <3

Lisa....<3 you!

Those that want to donate directly to the vet, please call them. Demitra, the gal that handles the bills, will take your payment and deduct the amount from my 'care credit' card.

I am trying to post a video from my phone, but it's too large to send to my email. I know nothing about smartphones. lol....so here's a pic of Zita in the waiting room. :)

Thank you ALL again!

Update 9
Zita's last day at the Emergency clinic! Stitches removed!

She was so hyper all day! I think she was feeding off of my emotions. I was in a good mood because my pipes thawed out on their own and no busted pipes!

When Zita and I first got to the vet, she was going nutty! Then she wore herself out and almost fell asleep in the chair (you can tell by the pictures that I posted how she gradually wore herself out. LOL....I LOVE my dog!

Thank you again everyone! ALL of you are incredible!

And a special thanks to my buddy Lisa!

Much love to everyone! <3
~Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment