Larry Rostchild, 43, and Laderrick Rostchild, 24, were both sentenced after appearing in a Moss Point, Mississippi, court on Tuesday.
The 43-year-old pleaded guilty to simple abuse, and was ordered to 30 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.
His 24-year-old nephew was found guilty of aggravated animal abuse, and was sentenced to six months in the county jail (not prison) and a $2,500 fine.
Just like the Stanford rapist, he'll likely only have to serve 1/3 of that -- 2 months -- and he'll be a free man.
It is the harshest possible penalty that can be handed down for the charges.
Mississippi, I believe, has the worst animal protection laws in the United States.
Municipal Judge Keith Miller also ordered both men to complete 200 hours of community service at the Jackson County Animal Shelter, according to WLOX.
They have just 72 hours from when they are released to report to the shelter to start their work.
A third person, 23-year-old Karmen Coleman, has pleaded not guilty to rendering criminal assistance.
Coleman posted a shocking video of the abuse on Facebook in December last year, which showed the cat being trapped in a cage and having boiling water poured on it.
The cat could be heard crying in agony as it was scalded and its skin melted.
The poor animal was then found dead, buried under a house in December - the day after the abuse took place.
SCALDED TO DEATH
Tests carried out on the cat found it suffered thermal burns over the majority of its body, according to the Sun Herald.
(Daily Mail - Feb 9, 2017)
- Mississippi: Cat believed tortured and scalded found dead in fetal position under house
- Mississippi: Police know where cat was tortured and scalded to death. Here’s why they haven’t made arrests.
- Mississippi: Karmen Coleman bragged online that if was she and her boyfriend Laderrick Rothschild that videotaped themselves torturing this cat to death
- Mississippi: Uncle and nephew are hunted by police after they filmed themselves killing a cat by pouring boiling water on it
- Mississippi: LaDerrick Rostchild, 24, tracked down and arrested, charged for his role in the torture death of a cat