Wednesday, March 1, 2017

California: Valentine Herrera, 76, who was attacked by pit bulls when he was walking his Pomeranian, which was killed, has died as well

CALIFORNIA -- A 76-year-old victim of a vicious pit pull attack earlier this month has died, according to family members.

Valentine Herrera was critically injured after he and his Pomeranian were mauled by two neighborhood pit bulls during a walk in Lincoln Heights. The man's dog, "Dodger," was killed.


The incident happened shortly before 6 p.m. in the 2600 block of Lincoln Park Avenue on Feb. 2.

Valentine Herrera's family said Herrera was in grave condition until earlier this week but passed away Monday afternoon.


His children said it seemed the loving husband held on until his wife of 50 years was in the room.

"He was waiting for my mom to go in and say her goodbyes and then he left," shared daughter Irma Flores Herrera.

The father of three and grandfather of seven would often help his wife around the house, even when he used to work 12 hours a day, six days a week.

Valentine Herrera had also just recovered from a heart attack months earlier.


His widow, Anita Herrera, who is trying to cope with his death, said she doesn't understand why he was attacked.

"The way we lost him...I think we would have been happy if we lost him on natural causes, then to lose him the way we lost him...that's what hurts the most," said Luis Herrera, the victim's son.


The family plans to file a civil lawsuit but for now, they're focusing on giving the beloved father a proper burial.

"Because my parents were not really prepared for this, so now we have to try to raise money so that we could do this for my dad," Luis Herrera said.

A GoFundMe account was set up to help raise funds for the family.


GoFundMe link: "Proceeds To Help The Herrera Family"

Hello everyone, As you may have heard from the news, my grandfather Valentine Herrera was recently attacked and seriously injured by two aggressive pit bulls.

As the weeks have gone by, my grandfather has shown no signs of progress, so now after about 3 weeks of being in the hospital the doctors have told us that his brain is no longer functioning. The family and I have decided to let him go and rest, because we know he has been through so much.

 

This gofundme account was made to seek out financial help for funeral expenses and medical bills that will be piling up. Just like my grandfather, we have a lot of pride and it bugs us to even have to ask for help, but due to other financial responsibilities, we do not have the income to support a funeral that my grandfather deserves.

Valentine Herrera was and will always be a strong man with the best work ethic one may ever have seen. He spent most of his life waking up at 1:00 am to go to work at 2:00 am and get off at 10:00 am, all so that my family and I can have the life that we have in America.


My family has gone from living in Mexico to being citizens in America, all because of him and his drive to want what is best for his family. He worked as a young man to pay for my father, grandma and aunt to come from Mexico to the States and I am forever grateful for his sacrifices, because without him I wouldn't be where i am today and neither would my family.

So we ask that you help us with whatever you can and please keep him in your thoughts. He is one the greatest men I will ever have the privilege of getting to know and I am proud to call him my grandpa. Thank you.

(ABC7 - March 1, 2017)

Earlier:

1 comment:

  1. Did you make this site yourself? Please reply back as I’m attempting to create my own personal blog and want to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is named.
    wooden dog crate cover

    ReplyDelete