Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Florida: Alicia Malagon, 76, agreed to pet sit her daughter's Pit Bull, which she had done many times before. When it attacked her beloved Dachshund, she intervened and the Pit Bull killed her.

FLORIDA -- An elderly woman has died after authorities say she was attacked by a pit bull while trying to stop the animal from hurting another dog.

According to the Calhoun County Sheriff's Office, just after 1:30 a.m. Saturday, first responders were dispatched to a residence on NW Lamont Road in Fountain, Florida in reference to a dog attack.

The incident report states that Alicia Malagon, 76, was pet sitting for her daughter and son-in-law's animals, which she had done many times before.

Calhoun County Sheriff's officials said Monday that 76-year-old Alicia Malagon took her dachshund with her to check on the other dogs at a home on NW Lamont Road Saturday night.

Once there, a pit bull named 'Blue" attacked her dog. Malagon attempted to stop the fight and the pit bull attacked her, according to the sheriff's office incident report.

"Blue bit Alicia in several places all over her body most noticeably was her right leg, which sustained extremely deep and large lacerations," deputies wrote.

Her Dachshund also suffered serious injuries from the Pit Bull's attack.

The incident report states that Malagon managed to drag herself from the bedroom to the phone in the kitchen to call for help from her daughter and son-in-law, who were on their way out of town.

Deputies say the son-in-law answered the phone but did not understand how serious Malagon's injuries were because she told him she was "fine."

The son-in-law began heading back to the house and called his brother to check on Malagon. The brother had to break a window to get in to the residence, where he found Malagon on the kitchen floor, fading in and out of consciousness.

EMS responded to the scene and Malagon was taken to Calhoun-Liberty Hospital. She passed away a short time later.

The Sheriff's Office says the dog is currently being quarantined and the case is still pending.


(WCTV - August 29, 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment