Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pit Bulls Kill 2 Goats In Moriarty

NEW MEXICO -- A family is grieving Sunday night after they said two of their goats were mauled to death in a vicious dog attack in Moriarty.

 Kasi Otteson said her neighbor's pit bulls ferociously attacked her animals Saturday night -- killing two and hurting two others.


 "It's just horrible. I'm very upset. I have two small children ages 2 and 4. They play out here all the time with these goats, and they could have been out here and gotten attacked," Otteson said.


 Shane Crozier, the owner of the dogs, said his dogs aren't aggressive -- only when provoked -- and he feels that his dogs were only protecting his property after Otteson's dog jumped the fence.

 "(Otteson's) dog jumped the fence and got into my yard. My dogs aggressed on it, and a fight started," Crozier said.


 Crozier said that shortly after the dogs jumped back over to Otteson's property was when it turned violent.

 "Somehow, in all the chaos, all the dogs ended up attacking a goat," Crozier said.

 The dog owner said he has already put the two dogs involved in killing the goats down.

In denial:  Shane Crozier

 "I saw these dogs attack a goat, and I couldn't keep them anymore. I had to get rid of them," Crozier said.

 Otteson said she wants stricter legislation against pit bulls, such as banning the specific breed from the state completely.

Crozier says his pit mix only killed the goat
because it had been 'provoked'

 "I'm very concerned about my children's safety. Until something is done, I'm going to fight this," Otteson said.

 Otteson wants her neighbor to pay for her animals' veterinary bills, but Crozier said he will for the goat and not the dog because it was her dog that started the whole thing.

(KOAT - Dec 11, 2011)