Thursday, March 20, 2008

Elderly Man Hospitalized After Dog Attack

TEXAS -- An 89-year-old Lubbock man is in good condition Wednesday night after a dog attacked him earlier that afternoon. 

Neighbors tell NewsChannel 11 strays dogs have become a big problem in the area.

A vicious attack brought First Responders to the 5400 Block of 42nd Street around 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, interrupting a previously quiet day in the neighborhood.


"I was reading in my back yard, and I heard a bunch of commotion," Venessa Rodriguez said. 

"There was an fire truck and also an EMS crew," David Chirillo said. 

EMS took the victim, 89-year-old Henry Clark Todd to Covenant Medical Center, while Lubbock Animal Control searched for the dogs that Todd said attacked.

"I really had no idea what was going on," Rodriguez said.  "A second later, Animal Control was knocking on my door, asking if I had a dog.  Later, I found out my next door neighbor got attacked," Chirillo said. 

Family members say Todd was on his way inside his home when three dogs approached him. Animal Control says one dog attacked him; Todd picked up a water hose, trying to defend himself, but the dog severely injured his arm before they all ran off.

"He sustained some pretty serious injuries to his right arm," Lubbock Animal Services Director Kevin Overstreet said. 

A large pool of blood by the phone where Todd called for help showed just how bad the attack was.

"It's not uncommon for me to be out walking around in the front yard and see stray dogs or in the alley behind my house when I'm throwing away trash, so it's kind of uncomfortable," Chirillo said. 

He says strays are becoming a problem.

"I have a little puppy of my own; I would like to know that it is safe in my back yard, obviously it's not," Chirillo said. 

Rodriguez agrees. She had to call Animal Control last week.

"I was leaving my house in the morning and a dog jumped in my car," Rodriguez said. 

Now, knowing their neighbor was attacked, both say something needs to be done. "It needs to stop," Chirillo said. 

"It's hard to come back from something like that, and I hope he's alright, and I wish him well," Rodriguez said. 

Lubbock Animal Control is not sure what breed the animals are. They describe the dog that attacked as a black dog with a white face.

(KCBD - March 19, 2008)