Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wolverhampton youngster recalls horrific bull mastiff attack

UNITED KINGDOM -- Speaking for the first time since the brutal assault in her back garden eight years ago, the 13-year-old decribed the terrifying moment the two bull mastiffs pounced and ravaged her delicate body.

BRAVE Leah Preston – whose legs were left scarred for life after an horrific dog attack at her Midland home – has revealed she hopes to become a professional dancer.



Speaking for the first time since the brutal assault in her back garden eight years ago, the 13-year-old decribed the terrifying moment the two bull mastiffs pounced and ravaged her delicate body.

But she told the Birmingham Mail the injuries had not ended her ambitions of becoming a dancer.

The youngster was playing at home in Wolverhampton when the dogs struck, biting chunks out of her leg, arms and head leaving more than 30 scars all over her body.

Since the attack, the pretty teenager has endured cruel taunts from school bullies and has had terrifying nightmares.

Now she is rebuilding her life with the help of her mum Diane Reynolds and six brothers and sisters.

But the memory of the day when the fierce animals pounced never fades.

Leah said: “I remember I was playing in the back garden when I saw these two dogs come in. I went behind the bin to hide but there was nothing I could do. I was extremely scared and they grabbed me from behind.

“It was a terrifying moment. There was a woman in a yellow T-shirt pulling me up and I remember I felt awful pains where the dogs were biting into me. People were hitting the dogs with sticks and I was lifted out of the garden. But I must have gone into deep shock because I can’t remember what happened afterwards.”

The dogs, which were destroyed immediately, were owned by a neighbour who was later given a six-month suspended sentence and was disqualified from keeping dogs for ten years.

But the damage had been done, and the youngster was left with the shocking injuries. She was taken to Birmingham Children’s Hospital where she was given skin grafts as doctors tried desperately to save her left leg. One of the bites was less than a millimetre from severing an artery, which could have resulted in her bleeding to death within minutes. She endured more painful operations and will eventually need to have reconstructive surgery when she is older.

After the incident, the family moved from their house in Hawksford Crescent and have never been back to the street.


Leah added: “I didn’t really go into the garden to play for about three years afterwards. But even now if I see a dog without a lead I am petrified. Even if it’s on a lead I will cross over so I’m on the opposite side of the road. I also suffered from lots of nightmares too. I can’t wear a bikini because I am so conscious of the scarring and will only go swimming if I can wear shorts so that the leg is covered.”

If Leah over exerts herself she can collapse due to the pressures on her leg. But that hasn’t stopped her from having a clear ambition to become a dancer.

“I really enjoy street dancing,” she said. “I go to classes once a week and wear leggings or tracksuit bottoms which don’t really show off the scarring. If I do have to wear a tutu, I will put leggings on underneath.

“At sports day last year though I had just done a little bit too much and I collapsed. I have to be careful.”

Full-time mum Diane, 36, added: “Leah was incredibly lucky to survive such a horrendous attack. Others have not been so fortunate.”

* Police and local authorities could also be given powers to force owners of dangerous dogs to muzzle them or even get them neutered.

Ministers said the consultation responded to concerns about the use of animals to intimidate or threaten people. More than 100 people a week are admitted to hospital after dog attacks.


There has also been a reported rise in levels of dog fighting and illegal ownership, particularly by gangs.

“I’m really behind this proposal,” Leah said. “There have been so many dog attacks since my incident, and something like this could really make a difference.”

She added: “I think there are a lot of owners who don’t put their dogs on a lead. ”

Mum Diane added: “Leah only received £500 in compensation, yet she is scarred for life.

“The insurance would mean that anyone else who goes through this will be properly compensated. We are behind this 100 per cent. I just hope that it goes through.”

(Birmingham Mail  - March 12, 2010)

Earlier: