Friday, October 21, 2011

Miniature horse owners talk about their experiences with pit bulls

TEXAS -- "My husband came home from work this afternoon telling me about this.

"He was at the feed store and a couple of guys pulled up with a 91-pound little mini[ature horse] in the back of their pickup. He said the little horse had been attacked by a pit bull and the people had just left the vet's office after getting treatment for it. He said the little horse's face, especially around the mouth was so cut up and that the legs had horrible cuts and puncture wounds. He said the people said it was a neighbor's dog. The horse owner killed the dog.

"I am so thankful I have anatolian shepherds here. I have thought about leasing pasture land for my horses to have more room but situations like this make me reconsider. Dogs, coyotes, and wolves are just too much of a threat. I will be praying this little horse pulls through. I don't even know who the people were but my husband asked them how many minis they had and they said 'too many'.

"Just wanted to share...I am on the verge of tears thinking about that poor little horse." -- posted Oct 21, 2011 by vickie gee

--------------------

"My friend lost a horse and foal to a PB attack and was mauled badly herself. The dog latched onto the foal's nose and killed it then went after the mare... The owner of the horse and foal tried to get the mare out so she could get away and the dog latched on the owner's arm. He mauled her pretty badly, she told me she thought she was going to lose her arm. She was out of work 8 weeks while her arms healed.

"During the attack her husband went to the house and got a gun and started shooting the dog. The owner of the dog couldn't get the dog to stop for anything. The dog had 5 bullets in it and still wouldn't stop. The husband had a heart attack after it was all over due to the stress of killing the dog of a friend and watching his beloved horses mauled. The mare had to be euthanized due to her injuries.

"I will remember this story forever. Especially since I also knew the owner of the dog as well as the owner of the horses. The dog was a well bred dog, obedience trained and lovingly raised. Not sure what went wrong, dog was neutered and prior to the attack had never shown any tendency to be aggressive.

"I will never underestimate the breed and I treat them with both caution and respect. I have met quite a few dogs that have great personalities, but this attack combined with another friend of mine who's son was mauled badly by a friend's PB he knew from a puppy, again, nice family ,well socialized sweet dog, just something clicked in the dog and it went off and chomped her son's leg. The dog was familiar with the boy, this was his best friends dog and they played together for years. The state trooper told my friend that if he hadn't had heavy denim jeans on, her son would have probably lost his leg." - posted Oct 21, 2011 by shorthorsemom

(Miniature Horse Talk - Oct 21, 2011)