Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Woman and her dogs attacked by Pit Bulls

TEXAS -- A woman was attacked by seven pit bulls in a northwest Houston neighborhood.


Marki Mills said she was attacked Monday in the 4200 block of Douglas as she walked her Yorkshire Terrier.

"I just see all these dogs once I turn around and they swarmed me, kind of like you see on TV," Marki Mills said. "They just kind of circled me."

Mills has bandages on her arms to cover her wounds.

"One of them bit me on the arm and then knocked me down onto my face, then they just started attacking me from behind," Mills said.

Mills' injuries are bad, but she said she knows it could have been much worse.

"I'm thankful to God that it wasn't, but it could have been," she said.


One of the pit bulls that attacked Mills

Mills' dog was also hurt. Mills fell on top of her dog, and it was bitten.

Animal control officials took five dogs suspected in the attack from the area.

Mills said she called for two weeks before she was attacked about the dogs that were on the loose.

"They are tremendously understaffed. Seven officers for one of the largest metropolitan cities in the United States," she said. "It is crazy and should definitely have more."

"Animal control is just emerging from decades of being underfunded. The budget we have now allows us to field only five or six animal control officers on a daily basis to respond to the 624 square miles that is the city of Houston," said Chris Newport, a BARC spokesman.


Mills plans to file a lawsuit against the owners of the dogs that attacked her and BARC.

(Click2Houston - November 1, 2011)