Sunday, December 25, 2011

Cat's owner shattered by its death in dog attack

RIP Henry

UNITED KINGDOM -- A woman has been left devastated after her cat was savaged and killed by a dog in Oxford.

Deborah Hughes, who suffers from ME, said her three-year-old cat, Henry, had been the reason she got up each morning.

Henry was mauled to death by a large dark brown or black dog, possibly a greyhound lurcher cross, while a woman believed to be the dog’s owner, wearing a bright yellow waterproof jacket, watched the attack.

The incident happened in Nightingale Avenue, Greater Leys, at about 9.45pm on October 25 and was witnessed by Oxford United supporters returning home from the Kassam Stadium.

Miss Hughes, 44, put up dozens of posters around Greater Leys, called animal sanctuaries and hired Animal Search UK after Henry went missing.

She said: “When I was feeling unwell and had trouble moving, I got up for him because I knew he wanted breakfast. He gave purpose to my life.”

Witnesses contacted her after seeing the posters and told her the graphic details of the attack, which they said they were powerless to stop.

She said: “I was shaking all over and when I put the phone down I went completely to pieces. I have not recovered since.”

“I feel terribly guilty about it, because I did not protect him.”

She added: “My concerns is that this could happen to someone else’s animal.

“Lots of people in the community have cats.”

Thames Valley Police have appealed for anyone with information to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

(Oxford Mail - Dec 24, 2011)