Saturday, February 25, 2012

Price Hill boys survive vicious pit bull attack, but scars remain

OHIO -- Two Price Hill boys continue to recover from a frightening pit bull attack over the weekend.

The brothers were first attacked on their street, and then the dog chased them into their house.
  
According to a District 3 police report, the children were playing in front of their home and in the street when they were suddenly attacked by a pit bull. The boys then ran into their house and the dog followed them, trying to continue the attack.
      
It was a frightening escape that Cortney and Curtis Mitchell may remember for the rest of their lives.
"I couldn't think, like, I didn't feel nothing in that arm. I couldn't think," said 10-year-old Cortney.

"It was scary and I was scared, especially when the dog ran in my house. That's what scared me the most and then when I couldn't get the dog off my son, it was even more scarier," said the boys' mother, Kenya Taylor.

Cortney and his younger brother, 6-year-old Curtis, are both back home from the hospital. Cortney needed seven stitches on both arms. Curtis had surgery and will need physical therapy to regain use of his arm.

The family has cellphone video and photos of the dog's capture and confinement by the Cincinnati SPCA.

Just before 3 p.m. Friday, the family says the dog came out of a neighbor's house and started biting both boys. When they ran into the house, the dog chased them inside continuing to bite them.


"I don't know. It was just so crazy. It felt like I was in a dream or something. He was in my house and he was tussling with the dog. I was trying to get Curt because there was blood all over my house. It just didn't seem real. It just seemed unbelievable that it had ran into my house afterwards," said Taylor.

Fortunately, Taylor and other neighbors were able to stop the pit bull and confine him to the basement until police and animal control arrived.

Taylor says she'll press authorities to prosecute the dog's owner.

"Something has got to be done because my son has to live with this for the rest of his life. Something has got to be done," said Taylor.

The dog's owner, Dekila Britten, now faces charges of possession of a vicious dog and failure to keep a vicious dog on a leash.

9 News went to Britten's house Monday night, but we were told she was not there, and none of the occupants said they knew about the attack.

(KY Post - Feb 20, 2012)