Thursday, May 31, 2012

Somerset woman accused of animal cruelty speaks out

PENNSYLVANIA -- A couple from Somerset is facing dozens of animal cruelty charges. Neighbors claim it's still a problem, but the people who live in the home contacted 6 News and said there is more to the story.

On Wednesday, 6 News talked with neighbors who said they were upset the couple had more animals.



But on Thursday, Angela Bartels said all accusations against her are false, and the neighbors are just causing problems.

6 News went back to the couple's Fuller Street home Thursday afternoon and was greeted by Bartels' 2 1/2-year-old dog Gabby.

Neighbors said they're upset Bartels has another dog after several animals were seized from the home just last month. But that's something Bartels said should have never happened.

"I have all the vet records, and I know that when those animals left here, they were healthy," said Bartels. "They were fine and absolutely nothing was wrong with any of them."

She said she's still fighting to get those animals back.


"I love animals," said Bartels. "I'm really upset that people have this image of me that I'm this terrible person"

Authorities said they found one dead puppy infected with the parvo virus. Bartels says that wasn't her fault. She did admit to tossing four other infected puppies in a Dumpster, but said she had no other option.

"Everybody around me here was worried about contracting this disease, so I figured well if they go into a landfill, that would probably be the safest place," said Bartels. "I didn't know what else to do with them."

As for her neighbors, Bartels said she's sick of them turning her in for nothing.

"I'm very fed up," said Bartels. "I'm very upset and tired that people can't mind their own business."

In fact, she said her family is looking to move away.



"I'm getting accused of things not going on, and after you hear it so much, it's just something that you can't deal with anymore," said Bartels.

Documents 6 News received from police on Tuesday show that Bartels and her boyfriend, Jesse Shay, are facing nine counts each of animal cruelty. Bartels claims she hasn't received anything from police to tell her she's been charged. In fact, she said she's been calling them and has not received any response.

(WJAC - May 31, 2012)

Earlier:

No comments:

Post a Comment