Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Officials: Muncie Man Has 9 Pit Bulls Living In Poor Conditions

INDIANA -- A Muncie pit bull owner is under fire from neighbors who say his backyard pit bull breeding operation has created a nuisance for the community.

More than 30 people in the East Central neighborhood have signed a petition raising concerns about John Ewing's home, which is empty, with the exception of the pit bulls.

John Ewing and one of his breeder stock

Ewing will appear before the Board of Zoning Appeals Thursday night at 6:30 in the hopes of legalizing it as a kennel.

"People can't have their windows open at night to sleep," said Mark Nichols, who started the petition. "We hear the dogs all night long."

Animal Care and Control told RTV6's Kara Kenney that Ewing has nine pit bulls and is breeding them for $400 a puppy.

"There's a limit of three dogs you can keep in the city of Muncie, so he is already six over that limit," said Phil Peckinpaugh, director of the Muncie Animal Shelter.

Animal Care and Control has received half a dozen complaints about the animals regarding noise, smell and their living conditions.

Research shows that chained dogs have issues.

"The doghouses they're in are all dilapidated," said Peckinpaugh. "They have fly marks on their ears from fly bites. It's just not a good situation for these dogs."

Peckinpaugh said the city is already grappling with an animal overpopulation problem.

"I don't want any more dogs to come into the shelter, but I do want people to act in the best interest of animals," said Peckinpaugh.

RTV6 set up a 7:30 p.m. appointment with Ewing Wednesday night, but he did not show up or answer his phone.

[A few neighbors stressed that they liked Ewing, but not what he's doing].

"I know the guy; he's a good guy," said Corey Kates, a neighbor. "But a kennel in a neighborhood -- to me, in my opinion -- that's something you do out in the country."

Retiree Wanda Thompson is one of the neighbors opposed to the kennel. She lives half a block away.

“I’m tired of listening to those dogs bark day and night,” she told The Star Press. “It’s not just me. It’s other neighbors who hear it. I’ve lived here for 56 years and I’m not going to be worried with those dogs.”

There is no way these sad-sack looking pits
produce $400 puppies like he says.

Thompson has spoken to Ewing about it. She says he doesn’t even live in the house.

“He’s been working on that house for over a year,” Thompson said. “He’s done an awful lot of work over there. It’s 100 percent improved. But he was supposed to move in before Christmas and he has not moved in there yet. I told him, ‘If you was to move in, then you can hear what I hear.’ I asked him how many dogs he has. He told me, ‘Nine.’ I told him, ‘That’s nine too many. You got no business with that many dogs. Nope. Too many.’

"I know they’re not fighting dogs. I know he takes care of them. I know he walks them and feeds them. And I have nothing against John. He’s a good person and a nice person.”

He says he sells the puppies for $400 each, but can't
be bothered to buy fly ointment for their ears.

If Ewing loses his case Thursday night, Animal Care and Control will likely issue fines, and Ewing will have to appear in court.

Members of the zoning board were unable to speak with RTV6 due to a policy discouraging them from discussing issues before public meetings.

(RTV6 - June 27, 2012)