Friday, February 8, 2013

Animal control rules pit bulls that attacked and killed miniature horse will be returned to owner

Pit bulls had attacked and killed a horse


CALIFORNIA -- A hearing was held this morning to determine the future of two pit bulls that attacked and killed a miniature horse in Tehachapi this past January.

"I'm yelling somebody shoot him, somebody shoot him (one of the pit bulls) - he is going to get me and about then I pulled my .22 out and shot him," said Roxanne Borgna, the owner of Piper, the horse that was killed. "I aimed for the head but missed and hit him in the neck." 


Borgna recalled the pit bull attack at a hearing to determine the fate of the pit bulls, Rampage and Dozier, owned by Jeffrey Frost - who lives down the street from Borgna.

Bornga fought back tears as she described the fear she now lives with.

"I fear every morning and every evening going out to my backyard to feed my other horses because I'm afraid what is behind the corner," Borgna said.

The dog's owner showed remorse and apologized several times.

"I fully understand the severity of the situation and wish it never happened," Frost said.

Frost showed pictures of the new kennel he has built - trying to show that if pit bulls were released to him they would not be able to escape and roam the neighborhood again.

The Kern County Animal Control Commission then delivered its ruling
 
"These animals shall be classified as dangerous. They will be microchipped before they're released, from the shelter," said Michael Yraceburn, chair of the Kern County Animal Control Commission.
 
Borgna would only be satisfied after the hearing if the pit bulls were euthanized - she left the hearing unsatisfied.


"They ate him, they chewed him, they pulled his hair out, they did everything they could, and took him down," Borgna said, while leaving the hearing. "When I went out there to try and help they came after me . They get to have the dogs back so they can do it again. I'm totally disgusted. I was guaranteed that those dogs would never come back, that they would be put down."  
 
Animal control ruled that Frost will be fined $500, while the dogs will be microchipped, vaccinated and altered at Frost's expense. He will also have to have a kennel for the dogs that has a concrete floor, double locks and double gates. That kennel will have to be inspected and approved by animal control, before the dogs will be released to Frost.

(turnto23 - Feb 8, 2013)

Earlier: