Thursday, March 28, 2013

Mother saves son from dog attack in Scott Township

PENNSYLVANIA -- A 5-year-old boy was recovering Saturday after an attack by a pack of dogs.

Amber Lynn Bayer said her son, Cameron, was playing at the home of a family friend when a dog attacked the boy and four others joined in.

"The dogs came heading for me," Cameron said.

"I just keep hearing him screaming in my head," Bayer said. "It's like I almost can feel the dogs biting him, and I cannot let go of that."

Bayer said she wasn't far away and immediately jumped on the small boy to protect him. Eventually, both were able to escape.

"It's traumatizing to me because that's my baby," she said.

Cameron has 20 staples in the back of his head, as well as stitches and scars all over his body. His mother suffered a broken hand.

"He's going to be scared for a very long time. He's going to be afraid of dogs. It really took a toll on the both of us," Bayer said.

As the family tries to heal, Bayer said she holds no ill will toward her friend, who owns the dogs. "I think it was a freak accident because their dogs are very well tamed," she said.

Animal Control officers removed the dogs from the friend's home Friday. Police in Scott Township are investigating the incident.

(WTAE - Mar 24, 2013)