Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pit Bulls Kill Midland County Man’s Animals, Man Says He’s Defenseless

TEXAS -- On Elmo Fortenberry's small farm, pit bull attacks are happening almost every day.

But mistakes in his past are preventing him from stopping these vicious attacks.

"They keep coming over and attacking my animals. I mean it started with my blue heelers about 10 days ago," said owner of attacked animals Elmo Fortenberry.



He says that 4 of his neighbor’s pit bulls tore his dog apart, ripping into the animal's legs and neck.

The dogs also killed 3 ducks and 3 chickens in his back yard, but one of the worse attacks was on his goat.


"My male goat, he's mangled. I may have to put him down," said Fortenberry.

A broken ear and fear of contact are just a few side effects the goat has after being bitten by several pit bulls.

Fortenberry says he contacted the Midland County sheriff's office for help and they told him he could use a gun to protect his animals.


But he says that line of defense is not an option.

"I can't shoot them because I don't have a gun and I can't get a gun...because I'm a felon," he said.

After explaining that to deputies, Fortenberry says he still has not received any help.

"People got a right to protect their homes and their property. And I can even do that. But the law also is supposed to serve and [sic] protect people and property. I can't even get the sheriff’s department to come out here and help me out," stated Fortenberry.


Midland County Sheriff Gary Painter tells us he plans to look into the situation as soon as possible.

We spoke with the owner of the pit bulls; he refused to be on camera. He tells us that he is not the only person with dogs roaming around the area and that everyone should be forced to lock up their pets, not just him.

(KOSA - Feb 28, 2013)