Thursday, March 26, 2015

Ohio: Lorain County dog killer, John Daughney, gets 6 months in county jail

OHIO -- Convicted dog killer John Wayne Daughney will spend the next six months behind bars stemming from the strangulation death of his pet, Memphis.

Daughney, 36, of 3106 Cromwell Drive, appeared March 25 in Lorain Municipal Court Judge Thomas Elwell’s courtroom, where he was sentenced to 180 days in jail on charges of killing or injuring animals and cruelty to companion animals.

 

Daughney pleaded no contest to the charges March 2 after being indicted on animal cruelty charges.

He was charged after police said he hung Memphis, a 130-pound mastiff, on the side of a trailer by its chain collar, causing it to choke to death.

Memphis was discovered by officers Jan. 31 in the area of Euclid Avenue and River Industrial Parkway.

During the investigation, while speaking with Daughney, officers discovered that he took in the animal, but said he didn’t want it anymore because it was (allegedly) violent to his other pets.

Prior to receiving his punishment, Daughney said he was remorseful for what he did and vowed to never do it again.


“I am very sorry and I regret what I have done,” Daughney said with tears welling up in his eyes. “On behalf of the court ... on behalf of the United States, I am sorry. I won’t do it no more.”

After seeing police photos of Memphis the day the canine was discovered, Lorain County Prosecutor Jeffrey Szabo urged Elwell to impose the maximum penalty on Daughney.

“I had the chance to view some pictures taken on the night of the incident and I wish I’d never seen them,” Szabo said. “I’ll probably remember them for the rest of my life.”

Given Daughney’s prior criminal background involving violence, Elwell said he had no choice but to sentence Daughney to six months of incarceration for the crime.


“I don’t understand what would go through a person’s mind that would make them do something like this to an innocent animal,” Elwell said. “It boggles my mind. I have no choice but to impose the maximum sentence.”

So is the judge saying he would've given him a slap on the wrist for strangling a poor animal to death if he hadn't already had previous convictions of assault??? 


Daughney is set to serve out his jail sentence at the Lorain County Correctional Facility.

(Morning Journal - March 25, 2015)

Earlier:

No comments:

Post a Comment