Friday, November 4, 2016

Utah: Woman and her dog attacked by pit bull

UTAH -- Atticus and I just experienced our first dog attack while out for a walk. And we were literally almost home!

An 80 lb. pit bull darted across the street and ran over to us. I knew it'd be best to stand my ground and let them sniff each other, hoping it would be friendly enough that I could get Atticus away safely. It started out calm and friendly, but then the pit bull lunged at Atticus and I had dogs fighting literally around my legs, one on a leash.

I started yelling angrily at the pit bull while hitting him with my umbrella (thankfully the rain had stopped and I chose to bring my big umbrella) and pulling Atticus away from him as much as I could. I was about to drop my umbrella to pull out my pepper spray or tackle the pit bull to the concrete, but all of the hitting and yelling chilled him out just enough that I could grab his scruff and then his collar and yank him away from Atticus, just in time to see the owner run across the street and then grab his dog, while saying, "Sorry, man!"

No one messes with my dog - I was ready to get attacked by that pit bull to protect him! I've very relieved Atticus didn't really get hurt, but it was nice to see that my sweet, loving, perfect pup is capable of aggression when he needs to have it. Same goes for me!