In six years' time, what have we learned from these stories of animal rescuers found to be abusing and hoarding animals? Not much.
Reading through Eldrup's case, this could have happened yesterday. Shelters are still handing animals over to 'rescuers' with little or zero oversight. No one bothers to check to verify that animals given to them are receiving veterinary care, that when the rescuers says they re-homed the animal that it's true, no one goes to the rescuers home to verify that the headcount matches what the rescuer is telling people, no one is going to the home to verify that the animals are being housed in humane conditions, that they're not being hoarded, that they're not dead.
The "no kill" movement has created these monsters and it seems that little is being done to stop them.
Case: Diane Eldrup, owner of Muddy Paws animal rescue
- Illinois: 18 dead dogs found at Deer Park rescue called Muddy Paws; owner Diane Eldrup arrested
- Illinois: Most of the 17 dead dogs found at Muddy Paws Dog Rescue were found inside living area of house, says attorney
- Illinois: Diane Eldrup, owner of Muddy Paws Dog Rescue, faces 32 counts of animal cruelty
- Illinois: Investigators searching for more dead animals at Diane Eldrup's Muddy Paws Dog Rescue facility
- Illinois: What Diane Eldrup's husband Kurt Eldrup saw inside Muddy Paws Dog Rescue concentration camp
- Illinois: Editorial "Many failures led to animals being abused and killed at Diane Eldrup's Muddy Paws Dog Rescue"
- Illinois: Diane Eldrup and Muddy Paws Dog Rescue mess dates back to 2009
- Illinois: Diane Eldrup, 48, denies newest charges in animal abuse case
- Illinois: Veterinarian Dr. Debra Rykoff and John Breseman who run Fur Keeps Animal Rescue posted Diane Eldrup's $25,000 bond - now they're complaining that people are mad at them
- Illinois: Muddy Paws Dog Rescue, where animals suffered and died at the hands of Diane Eldrup, 43, has been demolished
- Illinois: Animal abuse trial for Diane Eldrup, 48, owner of Muddy Paws Dog Rescue, scheduled to start next week
- Illinois: Prosecutor says Diane Eldrup, owner of Muddy Paws Dog Rescue, lied
- Illinois: Muddy Paws Dog Rescue owner Diane Eldrup, 48, found guilty by jury
- Illinois: Muddy Paws Dog Rescue owner Diane Eldrup gets 30 months for animal cruelty
- Illinois: Muddy Paws Dog Rescue owner Diane Eldrup gets a whole year taken off her jail sentence
- Illinois: Judge wants review of Muddy Paws Dog Rescue animal abuser Diane Eldrup's job