Sunday, January 29, 2017

United Kingdom: Puppy swallows EIGHT INCH kitchen knife - and survives life saving surgery

UNITED KINGDOM -- A puppy is recovering from life-saving emergency surgery after she swallowed an eight-inch long kitchen knife.

X-rays reveal the blade stuck inside 12-week-old Staffordshire Pit Bull Terrier Macie.

Her owner, Irene Paisley, 46, thought Macie had just swallowed a toy when the she started squeaking and choking.


But Irene luckily rushed her pet to an emergency out-of-hours vet service where the kitchen knife was discovered.

Irene, from Glasgow, said: “Macie was making a squeaking sound - I thought she’d swallowed part of a toy. Then she was sick, but there was no sign of a toy and she started choking.”

Having lost her previous dog to cancer just two months earlier, Irene feared the worst.

She said: “I was terrified. Poor Macie was still choking and, by the time we arrived at the vet’s, there was blood coming out of her nose. The loss of our previous dog was still very raw and the thought of losing Macie was devastating.”

The young puppy was admitted, and x-rays immediately revealed the severity of the situation.

The knife handle had passed through Macie’s stomach and into her intestines, while the tip of the knife was still in her gullet.


She underwent emergency surgery to remove the knife.

Irene added: “I couldn’t believe it when they said Macie had swallowed a knife. I have no idea where she got hold of it.

“She could have pinched it out of the dishwasher, but no-one saw what happened. None of us could sleep that night as we knew Macie might not survive.”

But the operation was a success and the following morning Macie was transferred to the PDSA Pet Hospital in Shamrock Street, where her recovery began.

(Mirror UK - Jan 17, 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment