Sunday, February 19, 2017

Australia: Woman bites pit bull to free herself in terrifying Broadmeadows attack. Owner runs off with dog, leaving her with medical bills.

AUSTRALIA -- When a “feral” dog chomped down on Sharon Fish’s hand as she tried to save her tiny pets from a vicious attack, she could think of only one way out — to give it a taste of its own medicine.

The Gladstone Park woman fought fire with fire, biting on the animal’s neck until it let her go.

She had her finger broken while saving her two small dogs in a Broadmeadows park.

Fish, 52, described the incident at Seabrook Reserve as “terrifying”.

She said she was walking four dogs when what looked like a staffordshire pit bull terrier attacked her 15-year-old deaf maltese terrier mix Snuggles, before grabbing jack russell mix Kayla with its mouth.

“I couldn’t stop it, it was feral,” Ms Fish.

“The worst part was it had no collar or lead on, so I couldn’t restrain it.”

Ms Fish said she eventually pried the dog’s mouth open so Kayla could escape.

“That’s when it chomped down on my hand and broke one finger and severely lacerated another one,” she said.

“There was blood everywhere.

“I’ve seen many aggressive dogs — this one was the worst I’ve seen. It would not have stopped until my dogs were dead.”

Ms Fish said she was forced to bite the dog’s neck to get it under control, before she put a rope around it and tied it to a railing, in the hope Hume Council would later collect it.

She said the man who was walking the vicious dog did not try to stop the attack. Instead, he fled after twice saying “let my dog go”.

Ms Fish had hand surgery at Epworth Hospital and was told she would need up to three months off work.

Snuggles also sustained puncture wounds to his legs, neck and stomach and Kayla suffered a leg injury, leading to a $1,000 vet bill.

Ms Fish said she called police after the attack, which happened on January 29, and they contacted Hume Council.

The Lost Dogs’ Home, which acted as the council’s after-hours emergency service for animal management, attended within an hour.

The home’s general manager of animal welfare, Dr David Cunliffe, said an

(Herald Sun - Feb 19, 2017)

No comments: