Saturday, August 2, 2014

Woman on crutches assaulted trying to save dog from mauling

UNITED KINGDOM -- The incident happened in the War Memorial Gardens in Inchicore, Dublin 8, where Tara Keane (42) had been walking her dog Molly.

Tara, who was on crutches, wants the public's assistance in identifying the couple whose bull terrier mauled Molly, a Westie cross breed.

As she attempted to beat the dog away with her crutches, a woman grabbed her by the arm and pushed her, causing bruising.


 
 
Tara said there is a community of dog walkers who regularly use the gardens and there are never any problems.

While she was walking Molly last Friday evening, another dog approached and the two pets started sniffing each other. The other dog then "launched" at Molly.

"You don't see that many of them [bull terriers]. He went for her, for the throat and pinned her down to the ground.

"He got her by the side of the head. She has a puncture wound a quarter of an inch from her eye and crushed her cheekbone," said Tara.

"I was beating the dog as hard as I could with the crutches. He didn't even flinch. It was like he was in a frenzy," she added.


A man and woman were in charge of the terrier.

"The guy was trying to get the dog off my dog. His girlfriend came over and started on me. She ended up assaulting me.

"I have bruises on my arm where she grabbed me and bruises on my leg where I fell back. She started slapping me about the head. I'm an amputee. I'm disabled. She knew that," said Tara on RTE Radio's Liveline.

She has been disabled since getting a viral infection that necessitated the amputation of her right leg below the knee.

"My dog went off in a panic. I said I'm calling the police and he [the owner] grabbed the dog and ran."


Tara said her dog remains traumatised.

"I took her out for a walk in the park and a little Yorkshire terrier came up and she was terrified."

(Irish Independent - July 30, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment