TENNESSEE -- Four dogs were killed and more than 50 rescued from a house fire Saturday night on E. Bel Air Blvd.
Clarksville Police said there was no one in the home at the time of the fire which was reported at around 7:45 p.m.
Clarksville Fire Rescue Fire Marshall, Ray Williams, said the blaze was caused by an electrical problem.
“The fire was electrical in nature. It was near and electrical outlet. I don’t know what was actually plugged up at that time, but we did determine that,” said Williams.
According to Montgomery County Animal Care and Control Director Jeanette Farrell, five dogs are in critical care due to smoke inhalation. The rest are now in protective custody at the shelter.
“Fire and Rescue was phenomenal,” Farrell said. “They got 17 dogs out immediately, so we were able to get them to the shelter right away.”
Once the scene was cleared, 10 Animal Control officers helped round up the remaining dogs. “This is a hoarding situation. They were breeding elderly dogs and this is a prime example of why we need regulations that require licensing of breeders,” Farrell said.
The homeowners were reportedly in Kentucky. It’s not known how long the dogs were left unattended.
Dozens of volunteers were on hand Sunday morning, walking dogs, cleaning cages and bowls and showing the animals lots of TLC.
The shelter is located at 616 N. Spring Street.
(Clarksville Now - Nov 27, 2016)