“Good boy, good boy,” said Army Pvt. Katelyn Gallagher as she hugged her 5-year-old bloodhound. “I missed you so much.”
Gallagher was reunited with Buck on Tuesday when she returned from a nine-month training program. The reunion came after a court battle for the dog.
When Gallagher left for training last year, she left the dog in the care of a family friend. When she returned home in December, on leave, she went to get the dog and was told the friend gave Buck away.
“He said he gave him to a family and he wouldn’t tell me where Buck was,” Gallagher said. “It was a nightmare.”
Because she didn't know where her dog was, Gallagher had to canvas the town posting flyers of her dog asking for information.
She said that Sullo had told her Gallagher gave permission to rehome (sell) the dog and - even after being told Sullo had been criminally charged for theft and that she technically was in possession of stolen property - she still refused to return him.
Instead of doing the right thing and returning this dog back to its owner, she hired a lawyer.
At the end of February, Buck was returned to Gallagher’s family. In exchange, the criminal charges were then dismissed against Sullo.
“I did not want to fight,” Gallagher said. “I didn’t want to battle. I didn't want other people to be hurt. I just wanted my boy back, that’s all.”
“She adopted Buck as a pup, she loves him and she deserves to have him back,” Cristallo said.
And her family agrees.
“When you see Katelyn, you see Buck,” said her brother, Terry McCready.
Gallagher said Buck will be at her side from here on out.
- Ohio: Army Private says her dog was sold by her "friend" Angelo Sullo while she was on training assignment
- Ohio: Facing theft charge, Angelo Sullo refuses to tell judge what he did with Army private's dog
- Ohio: Despite being told she is in possession of stolen property and that Angelo Sullo has been charged with theft, Christina Grapo refuses to return Bloodhound that belongs to army private
- Ohio: Battle over Army Private’s dog continues in the courtroom
- Ohio: Family who refused to return Army Private’s dog, changes mind after being told they could be charged with a felony
- Ohio: After initially refusing to tell a judge where Army Private Katelyn Gallagher's Bloodhound was, Angelo Sullo changed his mind and her dog has been returned. In exchange, prosecutors agreed to dismiss the criminal charge against him